Five Question Friday: Kate and the Tumblarians
Here, Kate poses with her very prestigious libbanana.
After interviewing Kate thelifeguardlibrarian awhile back, I noticed things have taken off with the librarians-on-tumblr phenomenon, with Kate at the forefront as an informal organizer and motivator. Here, I ask her about what’s changed, both in her life and in what it means to be a librarian on tumblr, since we last talked.
1. How has the whole Tumblarians thing expanded beyond what you’ve expected?
Well, for starters I didn’t expect tumblarians to be a thing at all—I was just hoping to find more librarians on tumblr because I kept seeing us pop up here and there. I was inspired by the #education and #lit communities, and just figured if enough folks started tagging up their posts we would start seeing each other and connecting across the platform. Little did I know we’d coin a phrase.
2. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen come out of librarians tumbling?
Initially it was just seeing the numbers grow and creating the actual list. But really in the past few months the community has evolved to start sharing resources and tackling some substantial issues through different discussion thread. It’s also fun to see friendships forming in between different bloggers. I’ve seen folks post their snail mail exchanges or IRL meetings and that’s just good stuff that makes me smile.
3. Do you find it hard to keep up with your dash and Tumblarian doings?
To be perfectly honest, I hardly keep up with my dash at all. I spend more day-to-day time reading tags—#libraries, #librarians, #tumblarians—and keep relatively focused in what’s going on in the tumblarian community. The nice part about enjoying being a part of this community is that it in no way feels like an obligation. I do get behind on updating the tumblarians list, but otherwise, I’m happy to participate whenever I’m able.
4. What work still needs to be done?
Just in the past couple of weeks I’ve noticed new, non-librarian blogs using the #tumblarians tag. I think that’s pretty neat and something we can capitalize on. It means we’re recognized as a community worth engaging to those outside of the profession. That’s pretty exciting. I think we can always improve the way we’re using the tool (the tool being tumblr) and keeping as consistent as possible in tagging is a big step towards that. I also think we can take on more topical events, i.e. #sweatervestsunday or #MAYkerMondays. These are great opportunities to connect with communities on Twitter and Facebook and keep us from being siloed into our Tumblr world.
5. On you: You’ve changed jobs since we last talked. What’s your eventual dream/goal job look like?
I have changed jobs! I’m working in a corporate library and gaining a wealth of knowledge and skill sets I didn’t know I was missing in the first place. My dream job remains the same: information literacy instruction in an academic library. My dream dream job is to manage an academic library. Well, that or Supreme Court Justice. All this of course, when I grow up.
Want to nominate someone for a Five Questions Friday interview, or up for one yourself? Just ask.
33 Notes/ Hide
- trixclibrarian likes this
- hansansgar reblogged this from thelifeguardlibrarian
- hansansgar likes this
- manythingsvaried likes this
- librarysong likes this
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- oldsoulvan likes this
- karanablue likes this
- lecieltumultueux likes this
- marioncolibraries likes this
- harperperennial likes this
- johnxlibris likes this
- bookoisseur reblogged this from thelifeguardlibrarian
- booksrockmyface likes this
- themonicabird likes this
- billfairford likes this
- oupacademic likes this
- nerdylikearockstar likes this
- thepinakes likes this
- welcometotheneworder likes this
- transformativetidbits likes this
- libraryjournal reblogged this from thecardiganlibrarian
- jasonwdean likes this
- stillmild likes this
- togatherinc likes this
- youtastelikenachos likes this
- junk-pile likes this
- thelifeguardlibrarian likes this
- katrinablair likes this
- thelifeguardlibrarian reblogged this from thecardiganlibrarian and added:
- misslibrelula likes this
- thecardiganlibrarian posted this