A way my consortium rocks:
C/W MARS, to which both the Holyoke and Sunderland public libraries belong, posts a weekly most-requested items list for all of Western and Central MA. It’s not especially concerned with being graphically arresting or adding a lot of interpretation or bonuses, but it’s a great feature for a variety of reasons.
- It helps patrons brainstorm and request items (all items link to their catalog entries).
- It helps librarians see what’s most popular, helping with collection development decisions.
- It helps librarians know what’s worth familiarizing ourselves with so we can better serve our communities.
- It serves as a reflection of a community at a given point in time. Out here these days, it appears we’re in to Hunger Games, the Paleo Diet, and (alas!) Justin Bieber’s mom. There are some strangely popular things that I can guess why about (Heartburn is an aftershock of Nora Ephron’s death) and some that completely flummox me (Why does The Alchemist have six holds still? Are they just still trickling down from assigned summer reading?).
Does anyone else’s library do something similar?
9 Notes/ Hide
- benningtonbigdata reblogged this from crossettlibrary and added:
- acencini likes this
- learnforlife likes this
- fancylibrarian likes this
- thepinakes likes this
- catchingthetradewinds likes this
- crossettlibrary reblogged this from thecardiganlibrarian and added:
- mollyglot likes this
- morerobots likes this
- thecardiganlibrarian posted this